Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day 2010

Happy late Mother's day to all of you Mom/Mommy/Mama's out there! I feel very blessed to have such wonderful role models in my life. I read someone else's Mother's day blog tonight and she titled it "To whom much is given, much is expected". I couldn't agree more. I am so proud to be the one chosen to be the mom to my two little rugrats. I sometimes complain about how much they "need" me, but the truth is, I hope everyone in the world feels a fraction of the amount of love as I do from my kids on a daily basis.

I had a great day yesterday, but was way too tired to blog about it last night! We spent the weekend up in Decorah. On Friday I watched my niece Gracie. It went WAY better than I thought it would, but that could be because Grace is pretty much a straight out of the textbook kind of baby. Then on Saturday Chris came up and we did a trip to the fish hatchery and even got some tennis in despite the frigid temperatures! Here's our 1st semi-successful photo of the 4 cousins together. We have some work to do, but at least no one is crying!



Max, as usual, got pretty excited about the idea of a holiday. When I told him on Saturday that Mother's Day was the next day, he asked what we did on Mother's Day. I told him it was a day to celebrate all the mommies of the world. His next response..."When is there going to be a day to celebrate Maxwell's?" Pretty clever I'd say. My mom helped Max with a little gift for me on Sunday morning. He woke me up to some fresh cut lilacs and a Hershey candy bar wrapped in the latest ad from the Sunday paper. He was so excited about it and wanted me to open the candy bar immediately (at 7:15 am) I obliged, but thankfully he turned his back just as I was going to eat it and I put it down. Even I can't eat chocolate that early in the morning! He must have been asking my mom some questions about Mother's Day because then a few minutes later he told me that Daddy gets to have a Mother's day in just a couple of weeks! Chris was thrilled to hear this news:)

We went to brunch and had a great time. Going to the country club in Decorah is a little like going to a class reunion. I got to see some of my old friends who now have kids of their own that I'd never met and I also saw some teachers who can't believe they're old enough to be saying Happy Mother's Day to a former student!

Chris topped the day off by volunteering to drive Mya home in the van! Max rode with me and fell asleep while Mya rode the whole way home without sleeping a wink! The only bad part of the weekend was coming home to a freezing cold (61 degree) house! We got through the night with some space heaters and after a service call this afternoon, we found out that there were 4 dead birds in our furnace pipe! Getting a few whiffs of that smell was enough to tell me that the $70 I was about to pay the guy would be the best $70 I'd ever spent.

Anyway...that wasn't intended to be so long! Here are a few pictures from the weekend.





Side note: Auntie Tara...I hope you enjoyed the pictures of Max in the leisure suit you bought him. After the fight we had to endure Sunday morning to get him to wear it...you can pretty much guarantee it will not be worn again:(

3 comments:

Brian Thomas said...

I love this post Beth! I often think about my own little sidekicks and how much work they are, but I really can't imagine it any other way! Your family photos turned out great, and I love that sunshine!!

Kel said...

Again, you make me crack up with your posts! I love the leisure suit, and the comment about the "Maxwell" day! So sweet. Looks like your Mother's Day was well spent with loved ones. :)

Julie said...

That suit is awesome!! I love it! And I think we should have a "Maxwell Day!" What a great idea! You are right, all the work is worth every second!