Thursday, April 21, 2011

nice while it lasted!

I am a sports lover. I grew up with a big brother who only watched ESPN. He was out numbered 2-1 but for some reason we still watched Sportscenter every morning. It became such a habit that after my brother went to college, we still watched sportscenter in the morning while we ate our Cinnamon Toast Crunch! My favorite show for a long time was PTI, a sports talk show where 2 men talk about all the hot topics in sports for 30 minutes. I would watch it every day and get caught up on everything sports.

Then, one day not too long ago, a little monkey named George got in my way of PTI and all other sports shows and I kind of let go of my love for sports. My brother would quiz me when we'd get together and I could just see the disappointment in his face when I wouldn't know the first thing about what was going on in the world of sports at the time. I really missed talking sports with people and being someone who could fill out a bracket or make a friendly bet on a game.

It all changed again last fall when we bought a new (used) mini van. We got it home and discovered that the previous owners had XM radio installed on the van! Immediately we had sports talk radio programmed in and for 25 minutes every morning when I took Max to school, I got caught up on sports again. I would listen to the last 15 minutes of Mike and Mike in the morning and then the first 10-15 minutes of The Herd with Colin Cowherd on my way back home. My kids were completely ignored and I fell back in love with sports. I remember listening back in September and hearing that George Steinbrenner died. I called my brother who then informed me that it happened 2 months prior. Again...I'm sure there was a head shake. Chris loved this radio too. On our road trips we would listen to talk radio and some good conversations always followed.

To make a long story short...the old owner apparently figured out that we were getting XM for free and cut it off yesterday between 5:45 and 6:30:( Chris had the kids at swimming lessons and called me to tell me that sports talk radio was working on his way to lessons, but was shut off when he got back in the van. This morning on my way to school, I didn't even want to listen to music. I decided to sing some songs with my kids because it had been 8 months since I sang to them last:)

speaking of sports....check this little boy out:)

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Even though you can't listen to the sports program anymore, you will still know 100% more than I ever will! You're the chick that every guy loves- a girl who can talk about sports!

Anonymous said...

Great job Max - Uncle Brian would be proud of you! Can't wait to watch you playing mixed-doubles with your sister and/or your cousins someday!

Kel said...

What a little natural! I love it, Max. I remember the days of watching ESPN news in the morning with my dad and brother, too. Good memories!

Kelly Escorcia said...

Agreed. XM rocks and fun that you were able to get caught up on sports again. Bummer that it got cut off. Sounds like a great Mother's Day gift to me... he he!

Awesome tennis skills Max. Looks like your mom's passing on her talents.

Kel