Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Grandma Bev

The world lost a really fine lady today. Chris's Grandma lost her battle this morning. She fought really hard a few weeks ago to overcome some pretty serious complications, but then went back downhill a couple of days ago. She was going to turn 85 on November 13th.

I have some great memories of Bev. I lived just a few miles away from Chris's grandparents the year I lived in the Twin Cities. Bev was so worried about me student teaching in Minnesota (you know...Iowa winters just don't compare:) She brought me to Kohls on a Wednesday so we could get the senior citizen discount and bought me a winter coat that she approved of:) One of the things I loved most about her was her ability to be straight forward. One afternoon I was at their house for lunch while Chris and I were still dating and she sat me down and said, "So..are you going to marry Chris or what?" I just shook my head and said that I hoped so:) She made me laugh every time I saw her..usually over an inappropriate comment that only an 80+ year old could get away with:)

I've told a few people today about her death and more than once I've gotten the response "did your kids know her?" I can answer that question with a very confident Yes. They knew her well and I'm so happy and thankful for that today. Bev always had something special for Max and Mya at her house when we were there for holidays and if she didn't buy them something new, she let them take home a stuffed animal or some other toy they thought was the best thing ever. She always took care of Chloe too...giving her endless treats and sending home bones each time we went to Bloomington. Bev took great pride in Christmas shopping and making sure we got just what we wanted. The tower of presents at their house will never be outdone.

I'm really going to miss her. She lived to take care of other people and I know she'll continue to take care of us from heaven.



6 comments:

The Huinkers said...

Bev definitely was a fine, fine lady. We always enjoyed her when the opportunity arose that we were celebrating with the Hakala and Hoden families. She will be missed. Our sympathies to all of her family.

Julie said...

So glad you got time with her and what sweet pictures of her with the kids. I hope the weeks to come are a celebration of what a great life she had! Hope everyone is okay.

Tony & Tara said...

I met Grandma Bev a handful of times..and so enjoyed every bit of it with her. She definitely was special and always made you smile.
Thinking about all of you guys. As Julie said, celebrate her life and all of your memories.

ahuinker said...

What great pictures to have along with all your memories.

Beth Hoden said...

She was the only one who knew she could get away with telling me to quit dragging my feet and put a ring on the finger of the girl I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with. She was right. :) -Chris

Kelly Escorcia said...

I enjoyed reading your post on Bev and from this post and others in the past, Bev sounds like such a wonderful lady who will surly be missed. I'm sorry for your loss. Kelly