Saturday, November 24, 2012

basement organization

Our basement playroom/family room/office/laundry room has been driving me nuts lately! There are clothes piled way too high on the ironing board, the toys are taking over the entire room so you can't sit down to watch TV without sitting on a lego creation or a Wii remote and there is no room to do any office type work on our current desk! Everything is changing starting with some toy organization! My sister and her fiance (yes..I said fiance! more on that soon:) came down last week for a couple of days and Tony and Chris built this little closet-maid organizational unit for toys, dress up clothes, games, puzzles, etc. All of this was in bins on the floor before this and just having it up off of the floor has made the biggest difference in the world. Sometimes I just stare at it for a few minutes because it makes me so happy!

The dress-up clothes are hung now (the kids can't quite figure out how to hang them back up after they're done playing, but they'll get it soon) The two drawers contain all of the dress-up accessories like masks, shoes, eye patches, hats, boas, fairy wings, necklaces and other jewelry, wigs, etc. The puzzles, games and musical instruments are up high enough that they have to get an adult if they want to play which is just the way I want it!

We are getting a hand-me-down desk from my parents that used to be a big office desk at my dad's bank (so you can imagine how big it is) and I'm crossing my fingers that Santa says I can get a new couch in 2013! With some window treatments and some new paint on the walls that doesn't show every.single.fingerprint we will have a whole new basement! I'll be sure to post pictures along the way! 

3 comments:

Julie said...

Hooray for organization! Great idea to put a little spot for hanging up dress up clothes. I have all of ours shoved in a drawer....and it's a hot mess when they all come out! I love it...organization makes me feel so darn happy too.

Kel said...

Can you send someone to my house...we need the same thing!

Katie said...

Ooooh! I love organizing! :) Seems like the kid-stuff always ends up all over the place so it's nice to see pictures of ideas!