Sunday, February 22, 2009

Bankie

What would parents do without security objects such as blankets, pacifiers, stuffed animals, silkies, etc. I for one would be in a world of hurt if Max's blanket ever disappeared. Chris has voiced several times that he wishes it would go away or "accidentally" get left somewhere. However, when it comes down to is, I know he would do anything to recover it if something ever happened to it.

The problem with the blanket at our house is that it stinks so so bad! Max chews on it whenever he is holding it (which is most of the time) If it is sitting on the floor and you walk on it, your socks will get wet if you hit it in the right part. Do you know how much I hate wet socks?? I can't even read a book to him without holding my breath so I don't smell it. I was thinking in the shower this morning that I have washed it at least 3 times a week for 1 year. That's over 150 washings!! I have tried numerous stain sticks and bleach, but nothing can get the smell entirely out. You're probably wondering why we don't have a second one as back up? Well, we do, but Max wants no part of it. He knows exactly which one is his blanket and if we try to trick him, he cries.

Maybe the worst part of this blanket is that Mya wants it now! She'll do anything to get her hands on that blanket. She and Max have had many laughs playing tug-o-war with this disgusting blanket. She even puts it in her mouth!! We have since given her the back-up blanket and she seems happy with it. She hasn't yet attached herself to one particular security object, but when she does, I just hope she doesn't suck on it!!

Here are a few pictures of the infamous bankie!








6 comments:

Kel said...

I'm by no means an expert on laundry, Beth, but we use tea tree oil (just a few drops)in the wash with the detergent, plus baking soda, for Lainey's cloth diapers and they don't retain much of a smell. It might work? I love the cute bankie pics, though! :)

Karen said...

Yep, that's what I use too along with some clary sage, but I boil it. I know that sounds gross, but it will kill the stinky bacteria on the bankie. I use that for my washcloths and it works like a charm! Hope it helps...Elliot already has his favorite, but I've gotten two more just like it so I hope to keep alternating without a fuss. Good luck!

Diane Johnson said...

I use a product called Odo Ban. I get it at Sam's in a gallon jug. It clears the air of smells and also can be used in laundry... it comes in a concentrated form so can be diluted with water and put in a spray pump. It has bacteria killing agents which I like. My family uses it to get "farm" smells out of work clothes.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, we have the blanket issue too! Brynn has her favorite blanket and we have 7 of them hidden as back up! Somehow she always finds them though and so we have 7 waffle knit blankets lying around. Fortunately we haven't had any problems with them stinking - they just get so darn dirty! Claire sleeps with a blanket now too - the same blankets as Brynn. So far, Brynn shares, but I'm sure that won't last forever. The pictures are great, and I just love the mouse story! Are you coming to Decorah anytime soon?

Mindy Kuennen said...

In our house, they're called "burpees". The burp cloths that were used when he was a baby became his security object. They've been bleached and washed hundreds of times.
When Alex was born, I purchased another 12-pack so we wouldn't run out and no one would have to share. Ryan immediately knew the difference and now asks for a "owie burpee."

Ryan's security objects are his "burpe" and his sippy. If he's tired, etc, that's all he wants. In the last year, it changed to "owie burpe" when I bought a second pack of "burpees" that haven't attained the same consistancy or feel of the original.

Kelly Escorcia said...

Oh, yes. Kids and the security of their blankies. When we discovered Ava's "lovey" at 6 months and Dylan's at 2 months (he found his fast) I went out at bought 5 of their loveys and just rotate them. If it's too late to buy or find Max's exact "bankie" maybe try Baby Oxy Clean. It works magic on all stains and orders. -Kel E.