Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cinco de mayo!

Most people don't know that back in 1912 Hellman's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the "Titanic" was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after New York City.

Mexicans were crazy about the stuff.

The Mexican people were eagerly awaiting delivery and were disconsolate("desperados") at the loss. So much so that they declared a national day of mourning which they still observe today.

It is known, of course, as ...sinko de Mayo.


Ha, ha....just kidding. Happy Cinco de mayo everyone! This "voluntarily observed holiday" is my favorite 2nd tier holiday. It was also my 2nd favorite day of the school year when I was teaching. (can you guess my favorite day of the school year??) It's a fun excuse to eat good food, drink good drinks and wear a sombrero!

95% of people think that it's Mexican Independence Day, but it actually just marks the date when the Mexicans won an unlikely battle at Puebla against the French army on May 5, 1862. Mexican Independence Day is September 16th. Now that you got your history lesson for the day....go have a margarita!



3 comments:

Julie said...

Thanks for the fun story, and for the history lesson!! I need these more often, I'm losing some brain cells at home here!! :) Cute pics!

ahuinker said...

Cute pictures of the kids!

Kel said...

I love those pictures! And, I learned something I never knew before...even after lots of Cinco de Mayo parties in school...