Sunday, January 2, 2011

Resolutions for 2011

Each year when the new year comes around, I make some resolutions. It seems like just weeks later I totally forget what they were and go on with my life as usual! I decided to write some down this year so I could go back and look at them if need be.

1. Find a church in Dubuque and become members. We have done the whole church shopping thing long enough and our kids are getting to the age where they can go to Sunday School and sit through a service (for the most part) so our excuses are done.

2. Drink less diet coke. I have read/heard some things lately about my beloved Diet Coke that make me want to not drink so much. Chris is a big fan too, but luckily he is on the same page as me so he's willing to cut it out. We are down to 1-12 pack left (and that's only because I couldn't' resist the $1.99 deal) so after that is gone, we're going to go cold turkey. We agreed that we could still order it at restaurants for an occasional treat.

3. Buy a houseplant and keep it alive for an entire year. I have never kept a plant alive longer than a few months, but this year that will change. Not sure how, but I'm going to make it happen:)

4. Each week use some sort of tool/pan/pot/dish out of my kitchen that has never been used. I have all sorts of cool things that have been moved 3 times and have never been used.

5. Walk more. In Cedar Falls I was the neighborhood know-it-all as far as when houses went on the market, who was having plumbing issues, who had company, etc. In Dubuque I have not walked much at all. A couple days ago I went out and realized an entire house had been built and I didn't even walk by the entire time. Besides being good for me, it's good for Chloe too.

6. Do more outings as a family. We are finally to a point where we can get in the car with a few things in my purse and leave. There is a lot to do around us and we haven't taken advantage of those things because it always seemed like such a chore. Now that our kids act like human beings in the car, there are no diaper bags, and our lives aren't ruled by naps, I'd like to see what's out there!

7. Take more pictures. I am learning a lot about photography these days, but don't put what I know to use all that often! I was just noticing some empty wall space in this house that could use a good picture of my kids!

8. Buy Locally grown food. Last year we vowed to go to the Farmer's Market to get some of our food. Our garden was great, but we'd also like to support the area farmers who rely on their gardens for income. I think we went once and it was to get flowers:)

9. Worry less about things I can't control and things that can be replaced with money. Spend more time enjoying my kids and less time thinking about that load of laundry that needs to be done and the breakfast dishes that are still on the table at 3pm:)

10. Document more of the funny things my kids are doing or saying. Like for example...Mya thinks her name is spelled Y-A-M and will tell you you're wrong if you tell her otherwise. The other day Max was naming all of his dinosaurs...The tall one, the short one, the skinny one, the horny one (the one with horns) We laughed so hard that he kept saying it over and over!

10 is enough for now. I feel like I could keep going, but I need to make it attainable! I'll keep you posted on how I do!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Great resolutions Beth! Good luck! I do need to drink less Diet Coke and coffee also...let me know how that goes!

Kel said...

Love the one about using a new tool every week...that is genius!