Last Thursday/Friday the kids and I went to Decorah to spend a couple days while the kids were on spring break! I got to see my Grandma in the nursing home, my friend Bree and her adorable daughter Hattie and I got to help coach the high school tennis team both days. It was so fun to be on Decorah's new tennis courts and to spend some time with my cousin Kylie who is a senior on the team. Most importantly, it definitely made me realize that when my kiddos get a little bigger, coaching/teaching tennis is definitely what I want to do. I loved every second of being out on the court and helping the girls. By the end of the 2 practices, I had roughly 30 out of 36 names memorized and taught the girls at least 10 new drills!

Max, Mya and Ivy had a couple of great days with their Grandparents and cousins as well...Max and Mya got to go to the fish hatchery, McDonald's and Phelps Park with Livi and Grandpa Rog. Thanks to my mom and dad for rearranging their schedules and taking time off of work to help me out with the kids while I was in town! Not that it took a lot of convincing...:)

The only bad part of the trip came about a 1/2 hour outside of Dubuque on the way there and on the way home. On the way there, I realized I didn't have my bag. Of course I had everything the kids could possibly ever need, but I didn't even have a toothbrush for myself. I made do just fine...my friend told me it was a good thing I don't wear contacts or make-up:) I'll take that as a compliment??!? And on the way home, Chris had to come and meet me because my two lovely daughters decided it would be great to cry/scream/whine/wimper the last hour of the trip and I finally couldn't take it anymore and called for back-up! It was a good thing I have such a willing hubby, because on the way home 2 deer passed right in front of our van and I most likely would have hit them because my blood pressure was so high I wasn't even thinking about deer. Whew! Good thing I was in the car behind him enjoying some peace and quiet:)
Saturday we got up and went to Cedar Rapids to see my friend Kindel, her husband Brad and their two kiddos. We hit up the St. Patty's parade downtown (along with every other person within a 30 mile radius of CR) and then spent some time at their new house. Their baby #3 is due in a couple of months so it was fun to share some of my stories with them:) No pics...our camera is having trouble and I forgot to tell Chris my tricks for getting it to work so all of the pictures he took at the parade were lost.
Ivy had her 4 month appt. today. She was 14 lbs even and was 24.5 inches. Both were 50th percentile. She got two shots and didn't even make one peep! She looked at me with a little grimmace, but by that time they were done and she was all smiles! She has turned into a bit of a nightmare in the car though...surprise surprise, one of my children hates the car!! She screamed the first 10 minutes out of CR and so we pulled over and switched around carseats so I could sit by her in the back. Sure enough...that's all the little sh*t wanted! Here's a video of her laughing when we were pulled over and Chris was getting gas. I kid you not...she was screaming so hard I thought she would stop breathing 30 seconds before this.
Sunday Chris and his brother Jeff assembled our basketball hoop. Max (and the other neighbor kids) are very excited for the finished product to get into the ground! We didn't think we'd be able to do it until April or May, but with this weather I think we'll get it going a lot sooner! Below is a picture of the hoop assembly party and a couple other random photos from my phone.



On another very different, sad note...a Luther tennis teammate of mine passed away last week. Ali Hill (some of you fellow Luther bloggers probably remember the short, blond spiky hair) Her and I went to tennis camp at Luther when we were in junior high/high school, played on the tennis team 4 years and also did a J-term trip to New Zealand. I'll always remember how she would read the Paideia books at the same time as me and then explain them to me in English:) She was so smart, fun and will forever be missed.



3 comments:
Sounds like you have been busy! Beth, you look GREAT!
Isn't it just amazing outside? Fun that the kids spent so much time in Decorah. So sorry to hear about your friend, Beth.
Sounds like some more great fun on your other mini spring break trips to Decorah, fish hatchery, McDonald's and getting to see Kendel and family. Yeah for tennis and a new basketball hoop. Sooo very sorry to hear about your friend Ali, Beth.
Post a Comment