Monday, February 10, 2014

Olympics 2014

We've really been enjoying the Winter Olympics this year! I admit, I don't watch any of these winter sports at any other time in my life other than the Olympics. I just love how the Olympics brings people together and everyone from the US is on the same team. I decided last week that since the next time we watch the Olympics, we will not be living in the USA, we should go all out this year!

Chris, the kids and I had our own Olympic party. I made an All-American meal...hamburgers and hot dogs, potato chips, raspberries and blueberries and for dessert and Olympic cake! I just felt like we needed to eat this meal off of paper plates. Could be because it was a classic 4th of July meal, but it just seemed right! We had a good discussion about the food and had a nice night celebrating the USA! Here are some pictures of our party.

(Ivy helping me bake the cake)

(the candle represents the torch!)


Also, I wanted to attach a link to this article I read that someone posted on facebook. I was totally guilty of joining in the "bashing sochi" trend that was going on with all of the news about how bad conditions are in Russia. I thought this article was a really good one. It made me think about how these people have to live with these conditions day in and day out. We (westerners) are having to deal with it for a few weeks and then get to come home to clean drinking water and toilets that flush every single day. You can read the article here if you're interested.

Go Team USA!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great idea! Are you (and the kids) cheering for the Canadians?

ahuinker said...

You are a fantastic mom!

Unknown said...

I love it! Dave and I have always loved the Olympics, I wanted to do an Olympic themed day with the kids too, but we were sidetracked with Gma and Gpa coming:) We will be cheering for USA and our Canadian friends next time! Ivy practicing to be the flag bearer some day? :)

Cassie said...

You are such a fun mom!!! Where did you get their cute t-shirts?

Tracy said...

Cute pic of the kids in the shirts! And you are a great momma making events fun for them!