We have had a nightly routine for the most part since Mya was born. Beth gives Mya a bath while I try to distract Max from wanting to get in the bathroom. Many times it just ends with me giving up and Beth having both kids in there at once. Then once Mya is done and Beth takes her to bed, I give Max a bath and then read him a few books before putting him down. It's worked pretty well so far even though we think that sometimes it feels like we are single parents with one taking each kid every night.
Well here's a quick story about Max and bath time. When he was a baby, he hated, and I mean hated, water and baths. So much so that I of course called upon my wife's superior child rearing skills during those times and let her handle him. It might sound like a cop out, but there are certain things that I just think a mom can handle better than a dad. At least this dad anyways. Eventually, Max mellowed out and Beth and I would trade off baths and story time every other night. Then comes Mya and it just made sense to have Beth take care of her because of nursing. Since then, it's been Me and Max. My system for him is to get him cleaned up immediately and then let him have some fun before getting out. Sometimes he asks for "bubbles" and we do bubbles - that's thanks to Grandma Huinker that he wants that all the time. Lately fun has meant filling up this little fish that has a hole in it and squeezing it so that the water squirts out all over me and the bathroom. He loves that game and I love hearing his infectious laugh over and over again when he sees me get all wet.
Tonight was a special night though. We got him a "potty" a couple months back just thinking that we would have it around for when the time finally came. First few nights I would sit him on there and use word association and it has a fun tune that plays when the bottom of the bowl gets wet so I'd throw some water in there to show him how fun it was... After those first few times, he would just sit on it himself before getting in the tub. He says "potty", then backs up, sits down, nothing happens, he gets bored after 10 seconds and then is ready for the bath. Tonight he said "potty", backed up, sat down, and peed! I never thought I would be so excited, but I felt like my kid aced his ACTs. He loved the music it made so much, he did it a few more times. And then he said "poop". "Poop" is one of his favorite words thanks to his Grandpa Hoden taking him out in the yard with a shovel to clean up after Chloe. We can't go outside now without him saying "poop" a few dozen times. At least tonight when he said it nothing happened, but it's obvious he knows what's going on. I know he's far from potty-trained, but it was fun to see this little step.
That was the real excitement for the night. After the bath ends, we read a few books together. I have a few memorized - Beth has many memorized. Max is starting to fill in words to the stories (at least when he doesn't have his blanket shoved in his mouth). That blanket is a topic for a whole different story... When I think he's had enough reading, he gives me a big bear hug, repeats me saying "Lub you" and "night night". At the risk of sounding too sentimental, I love that part of my day.
So here's to Max and peeing in a bowl!
Monday, October 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment