The one who “couldn’t compete” pulls out ahead.
By: Tara Huinker
Decorah, IA - Ahhhh what a beautiful morning it was. The sun was shining, turkey roasting, shoppers were shopping, gravy to stir……… and a race to win. Yes, someone was pregnant. Yes, someone wasn't feeling their best..and yes, someone ate too much at lunch and left it on the track for all to see.
Brian Huinker, founder of the The Thanksgiving Mile Run, was his arrogant self the morning of. He claimed a beer or 2 before the race wouldn’t hurt anything….eating about a 1/3 of a very large cheese ball and probably consuming 2,000+ calories for lunch wouldn’t set him back. Besides, his biggest threats for the race (I wouldn’t call Amanda a threat ) either “couldn’t compete” (Tara), wasn't feeling well ( Chris), or had been doing timed sprints at the Dubuque track weeks before the race (Beth).
Runners, take your positions…
As usual, Brian bursts out ahead, cuts to the inner lane, trying to find a good pace, and hoping to gain a comfortable lead. This lasted for the first 200 yards. On the 2nd lap he was forced to hurl over and again on the 3rd lap. gross. He was officially no threat to Chris or Tara. At a time of 7:07, Tara finishes in first place. Not far behind, Chris Hoden takes 2nd with a 7:35 time. Brian Huinker with a rough 8:20, Beth Huinker Hoden at 8:30 (an impressive 2 mn shaving from last year) and Amanda Roiger Huinker at a remarkable 15mns flat.
A special thanks to Thyme Thornton for being a tremendous honorary mention for the day. She fought hard and by far had the best form of all participants. Also a special thanks to the Amanda’s family, Mark, Linda, and Nate for your words of wisdom, timing the runners, and cheering us all on. To Great Grandma Millie for sticking around and watching. Grandma Pat and Grandpa Roger for believing in me and cheering against Brian. And to Marie for taking care of Beth’s kids, while timing her on the Dubuque track. Without your efforts, there would not be this competitive tradition every year. Thank you.
Stay tuned for the next Thanksgiving Huinker mile run of 2010. For all you out there eager to train for a mile, here’s some advice. Don’t train on an elliptical – it does nothing. Instead, get on a track, practice your breathing, and if you have a sibling that is full of her or himself, take it as fuel for the fire.
God Bless.
(Don't try to read what's on Mya's back. It's really inappropriate. Thanks Aunt Tara:)



6 comments:
First...AWESOME job shaving 2 minutes off your time from 2008, Beth! Secondly, what does the sign say...I can't read it? Third, I love this family tradition, and the kids all suited up with their working-out gear on is FANTASTIC!
I've been WAITING for this post! Love it! Do you ever accept honorary entries? Is there a lottery system to get in? A lengthy application and interview process? I'm up for the challenge.
PS - clearly there needs to be annual Turkey Trot t-shirts made...
Ok I hope there isn't a one-comment per person limit because I just thought of something else...Beth - I think the key for you to ensure a 2010 victory is some stadium stairs with 'strength shoes' on!
HAHAHAHAHA! I absolutely love it! I thought that might be Brian in the picture of your last post...too funny. 'Way to go' to the Hodens and I really need to be around some year to watch this event. Tell Tara that the winner of this year's event has to design next year's T-shirt! :)
Love it! I kept waitting for your post because I had remembered from years past that the Huinker's had their annual Turkey Trot Mile but then we headed up to the mountains and I'm just now getting back onto the blog. How did I forget... regardless, your post was aswesome (Tara's narration) and it looks like you guys had fun (well except for Brian's hurling). Maybe Simon needs to branch out and head to Iowa to make you're family Turkey Trot official with state of the art Chip Timing. :)
Please contact:
www.coloradoracetiming.com
For all your timing needs!
Post a Comment