Our dog turned 8 yesterday. I haven't written about her in awhile so it's time for the annual update!
Chloe had kind of a tough week last week. She had a sty on her right eyelid that was growing quite rapidly so we had to get it surgically removed. The vet played the surgery down big time and told me it was no big deal so I went ahead and scheduled it when Chris was out of town. Big mistake! The day she had surgery everything was fine, but the next day she went crazy trying to scratch out her stitches! I had to go back to the vet and get one of those cones which she hated of course and she ended up wearing that for 3 days until it healed up a bit. I knew immediately when she was back to normal, because she ate a sippy cup in the living room while the cone was still on!
She continues to drive me crazy several times a day. We worked hard on training her last winter and then when she got really good, we sort of backed off and now she's getting bad again! The trainers totally warned me of this, so I need to go back to square one with her and start again. The biggest problem is her jumping on the counter and stealing food.
My saving grace is the car. She loves the car. I don't particularly love her growling/barking at me to go in the car, but whatever I guess. She rides with us every day to preschool, running errands, etc. Once in awhile we take Max to school and the ladies who help him out of the car absolutely love her. They want me to roll the window down so they can pet her and tell me how well behaved she is, etc. I get several other comments from people when I'm out about how well mannered she is. My car is full of dog hair, but other than that, I really don't mind her riding along. She's happy and it's not really a bother to me.
In some ways I can see her settling down a bit which is kind of nice. The other day she was in the car with her head on the arm rest. I opened the window for her to stick her head out and she didn't even get up! I ended up having to roll the window all the way down and she stuck her head up on the window to get the fresh air. L-A-Z-Y!!
She doesn't get many walks, but loves to run in the yard with the kids and Chris. Ivy loves her (and by loves her I mean loves to pull her tail, her hair, her ears, her nose, and feed her food!) Chloe doesn't even flinch....for that we feel very blessed. Most nights Chloe sleeps on the floor either in front of Ivy's crib or in Max and Mya's room. Besides the occasional puppy dream that wake the kiddos, there never seems to be an issue with her in their rooms. With Max and Mya both being slightly allergic to dogs, we are supposed to keep her out of their room as much as we can. In order to do that, we'd have to put Chloe in a crate or close the kids' door completely and they would freak if we did that! So we put a high powered air filter in their room instead. So far it doesn't seem to cause any issues, so we'll continue this way until there are problems.
Yesterday I was out of town so Chris took the kids and Chloe on their annual trip to PetCo to let Chloe pick out a toy and get her loaded up on some treats. They had a great time doing this and bought so much that the check-out person had to help Chris out to the car:)
All in all...as much grief as she causes me, she's a pretty darn good dog and I wouldn't trade her for any other. My friend Marie (the anti-dog lover) can even tolerate her so I know she's good stuff:)
Sunday, October 28, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
I remember I was just pregnant with Tate when we were at your house to see her when you got her! (I don't know why I remember that moment, but I do!) She is a nice dog!
Happy birthday Chloe and glad you healed up from surgery. Love that she rides in the car with you guys everywhere and so cute that she was spoiled at PetCo on her birthday.
Post a Comment