The world lost another great lady today. It was just over a year ago that I wrote about losing Chris's grandma and today my Grandma Millie joined Bev in Heaven. This woman was made of steel and more than once I've prayed that I got her genes. She has made it through so much and today she decided enough was enough and went to be with God.
I have so many memories streaming through my head tonight. She always called when she missed "the little poopsies" (Max, Mya and Ivy:) and wanted to know what they were up to. No matter what I said they were doing, she'd pause and I could visualize her shaking her head and she'd say.."I tell ya...those kids are so darn smart! How did he/she know that!" She was always so concerned about Chris and his travels. He doesn't leave the country that much, but since he did quite a bit of traveling a few years back, she still had it in her head that he was always someplace exotic! Once in awhile I would call and she'd be in the restroom, but would still answer her cell phone! I always got a kick out of that:) Never wanted to miss a call from a loved one, so she'd put it in the pocket of her walker and took it everywhere!
She didn't have a lot, but always remembered my kids at Christmas with a $2 bill and a book. The best thing about the books was that she always signed her name and wrote a little note. When Max turned 1 she bought him a firetruck book that we still read and each time we look at the front page and see her handwriting, we think of Grandma Millie. She does not have an elementary ed background, but she sure knew how to pick the books. Many of the kids' favorites are from her.
She was an awesome secret-keeper. She was the first person (after Chris) that I told I was pregnant with Ivy. I just knew she would be so happy to hear the news and I couldn't wait to share it with her. She loved to talk to me about the deals at the grocery store. When she moved into assisted living and then the nursing home, I think grocery shopping is what she missed the most. She would call and tell me about the deal they're having at Fareway on butter and chicken. "Bethy...chicken is $.39/pound!" or something like that. She also loved to help me with my cooking/baking questions and always made me feel better about my inabilities by telling me her mom used to have to come out to the farm to roll out her pie crusts. If only rolling out pie crusts were my only problem....:)
The picture below is the first picture to appear on my blog. We have some newer ones than this of Grandma, but I thought it would be neat to include the picture I posted on my first blog post of her with 5 of her Great-Grandchildren in the fall of 2008:)
My Grandma was a CNN fanatic. She knew what was going on at all times. She was an avid democrat and one of the last things she did before she died was to make sure she got her vote cast for this year's election. So tonight, I am proudly wearing my Obama/Biden shirt to bed in her memory.
Love you Grandma...I'm so happy to have you looking over us from above tonight. I can picture you in your rocking chair flipping back and forth between an old western and the news while drinking a strong cup of coffee:)
Monday, October 29, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
Sweet post. Sounds like a very special and neat lady!
What wonderful memories!
What great memories! Thinking of your family!
Thinking of you. What a great post about her!
Sorry for the sad news but, I loved your sweet post Beth.
This is such a wonderful post Beth.
Such a wonderful ode to your Grandma.
Post a Comment