The big drop-off went great. We walked into his little classroom and as the teacher was walking up to greet him, he said "Hi, my name is Max!" It was pretty cute. Then Miss Laura showed him where to hang his backpack and gave him a name tag. As I was watching him do this, Mya decided to go have a seat on the little carpet with the other kids as if she was going to school too! I drug her out kicking and screaming, but Max did great. Mya screamed "Mat" the whole way home and continued to ask about him the entire 2.5 hours he was gone. Funny how when they're together all they do is fight, but when they're apart they miss each other. When they were finally reunited in the hallway after school they acted like it had been 100 years since they last saw each other. I had to stop at HyVee on the way home and they were honestly giddy in the cart.
At first the only thing I could get out of Max about the day was that he handed out the napkins at snack time. As the day progressed, he started telling me more. He said he had to raise his hand when he wanted more milk, he started to sing some crocodile song, and he has a friend named Mason. (it changes to Jason sometimes though so I need a class roster:)
As for me...I'm feeling a little guilty about not feeling sad! When I saw some of the other moms struggling I started questioning my feelings. Why am I not crying about my little guy going off to school for the first time? Am I wishing away these years when my kids are young? In the end, I decided it is because Max was really ready for this next step and so was I. He needs to get out and learn from someone other than me and the fact that he was so happy to walk into the classroom and showed no signs of doubt, it was a lot easier for me than for some. Kindergarten might be a different story. Thank goodness I have 2 years to prepare!
(notice Mya with her backpack. Up until the last moment..she was sure she was going to school too!)



4 comments:
Oh Max, I can't believe you're big enough for preschool!
Such great "first day" pictures! I'm glad the transition went well.
I'm glad it all went well!! I don't think you need to feel guilty about not feeling sad....you are right, you are both ready! :)
So glad Max did so well and seriously sooo cute about Mya and her backpack and crying out "Mat." Another big step to being a big boy. Kelly
Post a Comment