Friday, September 24, 2010

Supermom? Not me....

Yesterday was the first day of MOPS for the year. The theme is "Supermom". We had a speaker talk about how we are all superheroes to our children, but we are not perfect moms. After the discussion, we had time at our tables to discuss. One discussion question was...How are you not a supermom? I had no problem with this one. So...thought I'd share some with you!

You know you are NOT a supermom if....

You do the same load of laundry 3 times because you forget to take it out of the washer and it starts to smell.

There are days that you stay in your pajamas until nap time and don't shower until you get the call from your husband that he's on his way home.

You are fine with your kids not wearing underwear if it means they dress themselves.

When your child has an accident at night...you just pull the other bed out from underneath and put them back to bed. You figure you can clean the other bed in the morning er.... afternoon the next day.

You never bring an extra pair of clothes for your kids because you're 100% positive you could find something in the van that would work.

You park in the "for new or expectant mothers" parking spot at HyVee because you figure no one knows for sure that you're not expecting. And besides...isn't a 3 and a 2 year old new enough?

You have a chair in your bedroom that you haven't seen in over 10 months because the shirts you husband needs ironed are piled 30 high.

You manipulate your children's naps based on what you have going on that evening. You're willing to have a hellish 5:00 hour to ensure your kids will be asleep by 7 so you can watch red carpet premiere week on ABC.


Those were just a few of my favorites...I could go on and on I'm certain. I am fairly confident in my abilities as a mom, but of course there are times when I doubt myself. Especially when I read someone's facebook status and it says something like kids bathed CHECK, laundry folded and put away CHECK, homemade bread rising CHECK, bills paid CHECK, homemade babyfood made CHECK, toys put away CHECK, letter written to grandma CHECK, husband's shirt ironed CHECK...then I puke a little bit inside my mouth. Of course I would love to do all of these things in a days time, but it's just not going to happen.

While I don't have any superpowers that magically unclog the toilet when my daughter flushes an entire roll down, I do think I have some other superpowers. I can tell by looking at both of my kids from 100+ feet away whether or not they have to go to the bathroom. I can even tell you if it's #1 or #2. I have the ability to do something for my kids but make them think they did it by themselves. I can think 17 steps ahead of them at all times. I know what they're going to say 10 seconds before they say it. Well...unless something like this comes out of their mouths..."Mom, it's so windy I think my eye balls are going to fall out" That I didn't see coming.

A friend of mine posted this video from you-tube on facebook tonight. I laughed so hard and had to pass it along.

Click here to watch.

Also...in case you thought I was kidding about the chair.

7 comments:

Julie said...

Those are so true...especially about manipulating naps! :) I think you are a super mom, and I bet your kids do too--shirts ironed or not!

Kel said...

Again, I'm laughing by myself during Lainey's nap quite loudly because you are so darn funny! This is a great post!

Karen said...

So true...so true. I too have a chair that looks quite similar. What is it going to look like when a second little one comes along? I shudder to think! Great post!

ahuinker said...

I appreciate your honesty! You are a great mom, never doubt that!

Steffany Cartellone (Kress) said...

Beth - I have been following your blog for quite awhile and I must say it is one of my favorites. Your honesty is priceless and the way you write is beautiful :) Thanks for sharing and letting all of us into your lives...from what I've read and what I know about you, your kids are very lucky to have you as their mom! :) Steffany Cartellone

Kelly Escorcia said...

I'm laughing and agreeing all at the same time and by the way, I think you're a supermom just for writting this perfect post. Kelly

Heidi Schneider said...

It's nice to know I'm not alone! You are one of my all-time SAHM-idols :)