Friday, February 27, 2015

gymnastics, skating and a birthday!

Last Saturday Mya had her first gymnastics competition! They have been working really hard for months on each routine and it was time to see it all pay off. Chris and I are total newbies to the gymnastics scene. We have had no clue what was going on since she joined this group in September. There was a time when Mya hated it and we tried to quit a couple of times, but were convinced not to. I now can see what they meant when they talked me out of it. There were many practices when all the girls were doing was building strength so that they could do all of the skills for each event. It didn't seem like much fun at the time, but now that Mya can see success at these skills, it's super fun for her! Last Friday (day before the competition) they cancelled practice so that she would be fresh for the next day and she was so mad! She has come a long way...

Okay back to the competition. I mentioned we were newbies so we were totally clueles and honestly still are! We recorded all of her events (even the warm-ups...who knew she would do 4 practice vaults before the real one??!??!) and we had no clue what the scores meant when they held them up. Turns out...102 was her individual number...not her score! She did all four events (Floor, Beam, Bars and Vault) and was the very first one in the entire place to do her floor routine. That's a lot of eyes on you right off the bat! My favorite part of the meet came at the vault. Side story...my brother Brian's favorite word is "compete". He ends every email with the word "compete" and pretty much anything I text or email to him he just responds back with "compete". He would have been so so proud of Mya on the vault. Like I said before, she had 4 practice vaults and bombed each one. Like really bombed. Her coach basically had to do all of the work at flipping her over on the mat. She didn't time her jump on the trampoline thing well at all and totally messed up. I looked at Chris and we both said "uh-oh" at the same time. She got to do it for real twice and guess what...she nailed both. We were shocked. Her coach didn't even have to touch her either time! We're pretty sure she knows how to compete and will be a little competitor at everything she does.

So anyway...we were super proud of her and she ended up with a silver medal in her age/ability group. (we have no idea about that either, but soon we'll figure it out!)

Looks like she got first here, but they let every girl stand up on top!

The name of her gymnastics place is Phoenix Gymnastics so she got to hold the sign when they marched in. It was a superhero fun meet so that's the reason for the outfits!


After gymnastics we went skating and had a fun family day playing hockey, practicing hockey stops, holding Ivy up, playing red light, green light (I lost and I have a nasty bruise on my back to prove it) and just skating around!



Also today is Grandpa David's birthday! We wish we could be together, but FaceTime will have to do! I asked the kids what their favorite thing about Grandpa David was and these were the responses:

Mya: That he reads us books.
Ivy: my grandma
Max: Wrestling and parades:)


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay, Mya! A great adventure for you that you seem to be conquering :)

Love you,
Grandma Pat

Unknown said...

That is so impressive, Mya! Way to go! What a fun day.

I always feel like I don't know what is going on (as a parent) with Kate's stuff:) I'll learn with her, and do it right with the boys, right? :)

Unknown said...

That is so impressive, Mya! Way to go! What a fun day.

I always feel like I don't know what is going on (as a parent) with Kate's stuff:) I'll learn with her, and do it right with the boys, right? :)

Tony & Tara said...

That's my girl. Way to go Lou!