Monday, March 23, 2009

Shopping with kids

I used to enjoy shopping...even grocery shopping. Nowadays, I dread it completely. There are a few things that help matters though. HyVee offers a complimentary cookie to little kids to eat while their mom shops. We only have to walk in the door and Max knows this now. I can get my produce shopping done and then we get the cookie. It usually lasts until the end of the trip if I have my list organized like the store is organized. That is one positive to shopping at HyVee.

The best part about shopping at Sam's Club is that they have double carts.I can put both kids in there and still fill it up with diapers, formula, etc. Mya drives Max absolutely nuts, but at least I can contain both of them and still have some room for shopping.



I can put both kids in the cart at HyVee or Target (one up front in the main cart and one in the seat)while I shop, but for some reason there isn't enough room for both of them after my groceries are in bags, so Max has to walk out to the car. This is when we run into some terrible two tantrums. Max does not think he needs to hold my hand in the parking lot. Most of the time I end up literally holding him up by the hand and dragging him to the van. People just stop at the crosswalk and stare. I try not to make eye contact. Today we had a break through and that's the main reason for this post. We were walking out of HyVee...Mya in the cart and Max walking beside me. We were just about to the parking lot and he stopped, reached for my hand and said, "car hit you." Yep..I have been drilling it into his head for months now that if he doesn't hold my hand, the cars will hit you. I just looked up and said, "halleluia...he does listen!"

4 comments:

Kel said...

I laughed out loud sitting here, Beth. Not because I am laughing at you or the situation, but because I better get my laughs out now because when it is Lainey and I in the middle of the Target lot in this same senario (the NOT holding hand senario), it won't be funny at all. But, I imagine when Max told you why he needed to hold your hand, it will be something that sticks with you forever. That's why we're moms, right? :)

Kelly Escorcia said...

All your hard work has paid off and a high five to Max for listening to mommy about how safety comes first in the parking lot. I need to do more of my shopping at Sam's Club with those double seated shopping carts. Kel

Carrie said...

I love shopping at Sam's for the double cart seats too. Madison is big enough to walk in the store and at least somewhat stays with me. Laci usually needs to be in the cart because she doesn't listen to any directions what-so-ever! Olivia usually is still in the baby seat that is brought in from the van so that makes shopping even more interesting. It is especially nice to go shopping and leave the girls with Terry's parents. We don't do that all the time, but it is nice when we can! The kids just want to be so independent and do it all by themselves, but it is nice when they do cooperate!

Karen said...

You have some of the best stories! That one was too cute!