Tennis has been a pretty big part of my life starting at a fairly young age. We used to go to the tennis courts with my dad after he got off of work and run around hitting balls out of 5 gallon buckets. Starting in 1992, when my brother entered high school, up until 2006 when my sister graduated from Luther, my parents had at least one child playing tennis competetively. For 2 of those years, all three of us were playing. Tara in high school, me at Luther and Brian at Central. Basically every weekend from the first of April to the first of June they were busy with tennis matches. You'd think they would have been ready to have their weekends back when that was over. However, now they go watch their kids coach tennis! Yesterday I had the opportunity to coach the Decorah high school team at a tournament in Cedar Rapids. My mom and dad left Decorah at 7 a.m. only to sit through some blistering cold winds in order to watch some high school tennis. At the same time, my sister was coaching a high school team in the Twin Cities and my brother was in Dubuque coaching Luther against Loras and U of Dubuque. Crazy how much tennis we have been involved in through the years.
One of the best parts about getting to coach yesterday was that my cousin Kylie is a freshman on the team. It was so fun to see her out there on the court, decked out in Decorah Tennis gear...just like I was 15 years ago. She did great for her first time with real competition and I was so proud of her! The best part is that my parents now have 4 more years to watch tennis. Wait....Kylie's little sister is in 5th grade...they have 8 more years! Kelsey will finish just in time for Max, Mya and Olivia to join the USTA circuit:) The tradition continues....

While I was busy doing my thing in CR, Chris was home playing Mr. Mom...taking the kids out for lunch and to a Luther tennis match by himself! He even managed to get them dressed in Luther gear! I was pretty proud of him especially since at 8:15 a.m. he said to me on the phone, "Well, they're both up and fed...now what?"

p.s. the title of this post is a license plate I saw once. Can you translate it?
3 comments:
I love this game - TENNIS ANYONE?
PS - you were right about the PBR commercial!
We need to get Olivia, Elliot, and Mya together in their Norse tennis onesies... that would be a cute picture!
You'd be proud, Beth, that Ava took tennis lessons last summer and she's ready for them to start back up again this summer. You'll have to give her some tips. Way to keep up the tennis tradition. I also love seeing Max and Mya with their Luther gear on.
Post a Comment