Thursday, December 3, 2009

First and Last???

After a few years of dropping hints, Chris finally agreed to get a real Christmas tree! He knew we had to do something. Our artificial one was a cheapie I bought at Target before we were married. I looked back through some photos to see if I could show you a picture of the p.o.s., and we don't even have one...that's how hideous it is. Growing up, we always had 2 trees. One real and one fake. I'm fine with fake, but I thought it would be fun to mix in a real one here and there to spice it up!

After picking out the tree, getting it put on our van, dragging crying kids away from the farm animals, (we got the tree at the same place the pumpkin patch is, so Max remembered EVERYTHING about the place and wanted to see it all) unloading the tree, running to Hy-vee to buy a stand, setting it up, having it fall down, setting it back up with two kids hanging on our legs, vacuuming countless needles, watering, watering, watering, and getting pricked each time I turn the lights on.... I decided my life and my marriage don't need any spice. I do LOVE the smell of the tree, but it's a lot more work than just matching a few color-coded branches...that's for sure. Who knows, maybe someday when the kids are old enough to remember cutting it down, we can try this again. For now...the after-Christmas sale ads are going to be calling my name!

I made sure to take plenty of pictures of our first real Christmas tree. Who knows...it might be the last:)







(Chris took this picture of his own arm with all the prickly red spots from the needles. Pretty sure he was going to pull it one out as ammunition next year just in case I asked for a real tree again:)

2 comments:

Kelly Escorcia said...

Oh, yes, the lovely Christmas tree debate. The pros vs. cons... which way to go. Family traditions, cost, convenience, fun memories, less mess, fresh smells. Simon and I of course differe on this topic, but... I really love your tree even with Chris' scratched arms and all the cute photos make it worth it. Man, the Escorica's are behind. We need to get our tree up.

Katie said...

We always had a real tree growing up, but now with two small kids I'm thankful for our little, pre-lit, artificial tree - very low maintenance!! Cute photos of the kids! :) love, Katie and fam