Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The college years

This past weekend was Chris's 10 year class reunion at our alma mater Luther College. I know most people who had good experiences in college think their college is the best, but we truly feel that Luther is the best out there. My parents very generously let their favorite son-in-law invite his friends to stay at their house and they came down to Dubuque along with my cousin Kelsey to watch Max and Mya. I was just keeping my fingers crossed that no lamps would be broken so they'd do the same for me in 2 years! I'm happy to report nothing was broken or even out of place:)

Since my parents still live in Decorah and I have a brother who coaches at Luther, we get to see campus all the time. It was really fun to see Chris's classmates and their wives see how things have changed in the past 5-10 years. It was also fun to show them the town and some of the new establishments. We of course took in some of the old establishments as well..T-Bocks, Whippy Dip, Mabes, Roscoes... :) For those unfamiliar...Roscoes is the hole in the wall bar that they somehow are allowed to let 19 year olds in that we attended regularly back in the day. The $1 cover charge has been upped to $3. When I told the bouncer collecting my money that it was a crock that I pay that much he quickly reminded me that tuition is now approaching $40,000 per year and I quickly shut my mouth about the $3 cover.

One of the other highlights of Roscoes was that I bumped into a few of my all time favorite students from my teaching days at Pleasant Valley. A couple of the girls were ones Chris and I coached in AAU volleyball for 2 years and when we saw them they were seriously speechless! The 7th graders with braces and glasses are now sophomores at Luther and wearing dresses and high-heels to roscoes!! As surprised as we were to see them grown up, they were just as surprised to see us in that place! We tried to buy them a beer, but they weren't 21 yet and the cops are a little busier these days than they were 10 years ago.

The weekend was a blast and I really enjoyed hanging out and catching up with our friends who made the trip! Here's a picture of all the boys!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Fun to see some familiar faces! And is Roscoe's still cool?! Awesome! Now it's time to start planning our 10 year...perhaps with no children! :)
PS Are you headed to Arizona?? If so, have a blast!

Beth said...

Hahaha!!! Still laughing about the Roscoe's comments. Sounds like you guys had a great time!!!

Kel said...

Agreed, we must start planning our 10 year...and I am in on the no children idea! I am in awe that Luther tuition is almost $40,000...holy cow!