Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Trip....Part 1

As Chris mentioned in the previous post, I just got home from 4 days in Arizona with my college besties celebrating all of our 30th birthdays! 7 of us were roommates senior year and have remained close since graduating. One of the 7 had to miss the trip because her hubby is a resident at the U of Michigan and they have a daughter so she couldn't get away. Otherwise, 6 of us were able to go on this trip and the best part was that no one was pregnant or breastfeeding! When we planned this trip 8 years ago we were sure we'd have a designated driver, but it was not the case!

It's going to take awhile to write about this trip, so I'm going to do it in a few installments. Here's Part 1:

I'll start with Wednesday. I had a few errands to run around Dubuque before taking off Wed evening. As I was getting some cash at the bank, I noticed that my license was NOT in my wallet! I had a minor heart attack and called my sister who is an expert at losing ID's. She just said to go get another one at the DMV and everything would be fine. So, I went to the DMV and expected to walk out with my new license. Little did I know...Iowa changed their policy on issuing licenses. They give you a slip of paper and send the real one in the mail 3 weeks later!! I again had a minor heart attack, and decided to just bring my passport. It was expired and had my maiden name on it, so I threw in my marriage certificate. Then I threw in my social security card and my birth certificate just to be safe! I REALLY wanted to go on this trip if you couldn't already tell:)

So, with my 18 forms of ID in hand, I took off for the Cedar Rapids airport with Kindel. We got there in plenty of time to have a $7.50 beer to relax my anxious stomach and were chatting with some of the other passengers at the bar. This one guy was asking where we were going. We told him Phoenix and he said..."Isn't it nice not flying into Sky Harbor?" After asking him to repeat this 2 more times, we realized we were NOT flying into the same airport as our other friends!! Who knew there were multiple airports in Phoenix:) So after a couple phone calls and lots of laughs, we sort of had a plan for how we were going to meet up with everyone.

Then, just as we were starting to board the flight, they came on the intercom and said there was a weather advisory in Phoenix and there was no guarantee that we would be able to land there. They said we would either land in Las Vegas or back in CR. Again...the only thing we could do was laugh and we got on the plane anyway.

An $80 cab ride later and we were united with our friends at the condo in Fountain Hills. Megan's parents own the condo and were so kind to let us stay there for our girls weekend. It was midnight Iowa time when we arrived, but it didn't stop us from staying up 3 more hours drinking some wine and eating Luna bars in order to catch up with everyone!

To be continued....


(halloween senior year at the happy house)

1 comment:

ahuinker said...

Great pictures - your posts always make me smile!