Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas memories...

Tonight I started thinking about my Christmas memories growing up and thought I'd write about a couple of them. As far back as I can remember, we always celebrated Christmas Eve with just my immediate family. Apparently we used to go to Grandma Grady's, but one night there was a huge snowstorm and we couldn't make it there-- thus our little family tradition was started. Our Christmas Eve includes church and a great meal. When we were young, we always made spaghetti and got to eat it later in the evening than normal, on Christmas china, with the lights dimmed and candles lit. The best part was that we got to drink some fruity drink in wine glasses and thought we were so cool! As we got older, the spaghetti dinner turned into steak and potatoes and the fruity drink turned into the real mccoy, but the feelings stayed the same. I love this night.

I was very lucky to grow up living close to family, so I got to wake up every Christmas morning at my house. We would get up very very early and go into my parents room and wait until they got up, got the camera, etc. and then we went downstairs. I remember my dad always opening the door and peeking in first because there was a chance Santa was still there:) Santa brought all of the presents at our house and we never questioned why mom and dad didn't get us anything. The best Christmas present ever was when I got my kitchen set. We have a picture of me coming down the steps with arms stretched out as far as they can go with a huge smile on my face when I saw it. I also remember when I got my first "boom-box" and a Gloria Estefan and Rod Stewart tape to go with! Another good present memory I have is of my brother. One year he got a really nice tennis raquet. It was at a time when he knew it was from my parents, but my sister still thought it was from Santa. After he opened it, he went and gave my mom a huge hug and kept saying thank you over and over. My mom couldn't get a word in at first, but then she had to cover up with...why are you thanking me?? It's from Santa!! Not sure if Tara bought it, but it was a good try:) I'm not sure we always deserved it, but Santa was very good to Brian, Tara and I.

I'm looking forward to making some new holiday traditions and memories with Max and Mya!

1 comment:

Diane Johnson said...

I love your Christmas Memories. I'll be posting mine soon on my blog too. They become so special to a person don't you feel the responsibility of creating them for your kids now? Ones you'll carry on from your family and those you create new! I recently transfered some old photos from family slides. It's like a step back in time... what a treasure.
Happy Holidays!