Sunday, December 21, 2008

Vikings - 1998

Today the Mpls Star & Tribune had a good article (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/36468834.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUnciaec8O7EyUsl) that was a reminder of an interesting year to be a Vikings fan. I like to believe that I'm as true a MN sports fan as I can be and don't jump on and off the bandwagon. I also think that a lot of my cynicism of MN sports, the Vikings in particular, comes from that season in 1998. My roommate at Luther, Ben Johnson, and I would catch every game even if it meant driving 45 minutes north to the nearest MN town with a sports bar on those Sundays the Iowa tv schedulers felt it was better to show the Packers or Bears. Whatever. Over the course of the 15-1 regular season, we also wall-papered our entire dorm room with news articles and pictures of this amazing team that scored at will and blew everyone out. What a fun team to watch and get behind. I think evey person in MN truly believed they were a shoe-in for the SuperBowl that year. Then the Falcons come to town and we give it away. Letdown of historic proportions. We have become almost conditioned to letdowns since then.

And with Max and Mya in their purple and gold, they help me remember to quickly forget those tough losses. There is much more fun to be had watching blocks fly through the air or giggles from a little baby rolling on a floor than there is dwelling on why the Vikings always seem to let us down...

There's always the next game and the next season though!

No comments: