Max didn't have juice until he was 18 months old. I didn't think he needed it and nutritionally it wasn't really beneficial. Guess how old Mya was when she got her first sip of juice? 8 or 9 months. I didn't even purchase a juice box until Max was at least 2 years old. Mya was carrying her first juice box at 11 months. Max just learned in the last few months what gum was. Guess who else has had her fair share of gum? Yep...you guessed it. Mya.
What sparked this post is what happened this afternoon here at the Hoden household. There's a long list of things that happened, but one of them was....Chloe ATE a poopy diaper. Ate the poop right out of it and then ripped the diaper to shreds. Let's just say it was not a good night for Chris to call at 4:45 and tell me something came up and he had no idea when he'd be home. So here's a picture of how my kids ate dinner tonight. The Hungry Jack just add water pancakes with no fruit and no vegetables. If you would have told me 3 years ago that at some point in the next few years my kids would sit in front of the TV eating a dinner with no nutritional value, I'd have told them they were smoking crack. Here we are.
In the end, tonight's dinner is going to have no lasting effect on their lives. 95% of the meals they eat (while I'm cooking at least) will have some nutritional value and will not be in front of the TV. However, when the going gets tough, I'll do just about anything to keep my sanity and get a few minutes break....including Curious George at dinner and letting my 18 month old daughter chew some gum. Let's just hope the whole "it will stay in your stomach for 7 years" thing is a myth:)



8 comments:
Its called survival and I get it. No judgment from this part of the state. :) You're a fantastic Mommy Miss Beth.
So I laughed out loud as I was reading every word in ths post. I, too, was very judgy before the boys were born. They are almost a year and still not great sleepers...now I know what else I have to look forward to!!
Great post, Beth. Thanks for being so honest! I think once you are a parent you have a whole new-found understanding for everything that could, and probably will happen, even if you never thought it would end up that way. :)
SO TRUE! Zach's mom told me all of these things I would do (like unbuckle my child in the car to feed them, put them on their stomachs to sleep, etc.) and I was like "Right, I will never do that." Ha, that was a joke! It's very true--we cannot judge because every kid is so different and each day is so different! And you do what works for you! Thanks for that post, I needed that too!
I bet Amanda being the proper English teacher she is at Decorah High didn't think that Olivia would start saying the word S*** at 18months either.
Beth, Katelyn "chews" gum too!!
What a great post!! I think I have it all together until someone starts screaming (which is about every 10 min) and then I just want PEACE - I will do anything for it!! And it makes it doubly hard when you have to fend for yourself- do what it takes girl, and know that you are an awesome mom!! love, katie
Best post ever! You made me laugh and you're right on about so many things. Thanks for the great read. -Kel
Post a Comment