I remember getting our first computer at home when I was 12. It was the one with the green screen and the printer printed one line at a time and all the paper was connected. We thought it was the coolest. We had a few games...Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego was a favorite of mine and I'm pretty sure that's why I passed all of my social studies classes! Then came the Internet. I think I was a sophomore or junior in high school when this came around and we'd go down to the IMC (aka library) for classes and would spend 39 of the 42 minutes waiting for Netscape navigator to work! At the time, I loved this. I could sit and chat with my friends while the teacher ran around frantically trying to get the Internet to work! Now that I look back...I feel really sorry for those teachers because things like that have happened to me and it's no fun trying to figure that out with 29 kids staring at you and laughing under their breath.
The reason for all of this reminiscing is that Chris recently taught Max how to operate the mouse on the computer, so now he can play his little curious George games by himself! It's pretty funny to walk downstairs and see him on the computer looking like an adult. He can move from screen to screen, game to game and loves to show us what he has done. He hates to be interrupted from his computer time to do anything..especially eat or sleep.
If Max is doing this at 2 years old, what will he be doing when he gets in school? I'm sure they'll have individual laptops that they will carry around with them from class to class. Assignments will be e-mailed to the students and then e-mailed back to the teachers. Heck, we're almost there already now! I can't even fathom where technology will lead us in the coming years. Max will graduate high school in 2025. Who knows what they'll come up with by then, but I'm sure it will be something we just can't live without and wonder how we did it before!



4 comments:
So cute but totatlly agree that it's crazy to think our kids already know how to use computers at their young age... what will they be doing in 10, 20 years?
I remember playing Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego on the computers in 5th grade. It was awesome. And I totally agree with Kelly, it's a little scary to think what technology will be like when our kids are big! Carson always tells us he needs to "check email" :)
Going right along with Katie, Mallory always says "Check blogs!" each day! It's really crazy how far we have come. Love that picture of Max at the computer, super cute.
This would be a great post to talk about with a group of teachers at an inservice, huh? Yes, I am rarely not thinking of something related to my next inservice...sad, isn't it? I love the pic of Max with his bare tummy on the computer. What a cutie!
Post a Comment