Friday, August 21, 2009

crazy 1 hour span

There are days that go by and everything is smooth sailing. Nothing out of the ordinary happens, no one gets hurt, kids sleep when they should sleep, eat when they should eat, play when they should play, I take a shower, etc. There are other days like today where things just go awry! Here's my 8:45-9:45 hour this morning.

We go to get gas for the lawn mower to finish the lawn before Chris's parents come tonight. While at Casey's I get 2 donuts and a coffee. When I get home, I set my HOT coffee down and get Mya out. Max reaches for it, it spills on his leg and foot. He doesn't throw a huge fuss and is more upset about the fact that his shoes are wet than the fact that the coffee was hot. I give Max his donut and Chloe proceeds to take it right out of his hand and eat it. He throws a fit. I give him mine. (I didn't need it anyway, so it was an okay thing) While I am putting Chloe in the house to keep her from eating the second donut, Mya climbs into my chair and is reaching her hand inside the cup of coffee as I walk back outside. Thankfully, I reach her just in time. So, I get my coffee and start pushing Mya around in this little car she loves. I make a phone call to my friend Emily and just as I'm beginning my conversation, Max falls and skins up both knees. There is blood, so the tears are bigger than ever. I tell Emily I'll call her back, set my coffee down, calm Max and then run inside to get him some dry shoes. (they're right inside the door, so I don't bother taking the kids in with me) During that split second, I come back out and Mya is drinking my coffee. Well, she can't drink out of a cup very well, so she spills it. Great. Even better, she spills it right on my cell phone which I set down next to the coffee when Max fell. I call Emily back and in the middle of the conversation, my phone stops working. I give up on this and decide to put a very tired Mya down for a nap. She goes down easily and Max and I proceed to go out and mow. I fill my mower with gas, pretend to fill Max's mower with gas and we're off. A few seconds later, out of nowhere, Chloe comes darting out of the capped garage with some sort of animal in her mouth. She shakes it around and then rolls all over it. I'm trying everything to get her to drop this poor creature and Max thinks it's hilarious. Finally I get the hose out and start to spray the dog so she drops it. By now, I can barely tell, but I think it was a baby bird. So, I get the shovel and toss it into the field behind our house. I start to mow. A few minutes into my mowing session, this dead bird's entire family decides they want revenge on either me, Max or Chloe. They start swarming around us and the dead bird to the point that I have to put Max and Chloe inside to watch TV while I finish the lawn. I finished the lawn and it has been smooth sailing since.

Now I'm off to see if there is any of that cold coffee I can salvage...

9 comments:

Kate said...

um, wow. That sounds like a pretty insane hour. I especially liked the birds swarming --- that was a nice addition to the day, I'm sure!
have a good weekend!

Diane Johnson said...

Did you ever see the old Alfred Hitchcock movie "The Birds"? Don't like the swarming. Lucky the kids didn't get burned by the coffee though. Enjoy your time with the relatives, hope it goes smoother than your morning!

Julie said...

Oh yikes. It sounds like you were awfully calm during that entire situation!!! I hope you kicked your feet up tonight and I hope your phone is back up and running. Tomorrow surely will be better!

Kel said...

I have to visit you, Beth! Your life is way more exciting than here at the Kliefoth ranch! :)

Beth Hoden said...

Kelly--add another child and a dog to the mix and you'd have a pretty exciting life too!

Kelsey Rae said...

Beth , it sounds like from 8:45 to 9:45 was very crazy for you!

Mya drinking coffee (She's starting that at a young age!!)

Karen said...

Hilarious!!!!!! I love your stories! That was fantastic! Thank goodness for insanity to ground us...

:D

Kelly Escorcia said...

Loved your post Beth. Glad to know other's have crazy days too.

aglod07 said...

oh my goodness, what a crazy story! I think I might have put everyone in bed and wished for better luck tomorrow!