Sunday, January 31, 2010

The rice is back!

Around this time last year I wrote a blog about how my kids never play with their toys and instead they play with pots, pans, boxes, etc. One of these was a tub full of rice. This activity with rice was their absolute favorite thing to do and my least favorite thing to do (because of the mess) but I'm so sick of winter and desperate for new activities that do not involve the TV and computer, so out came the rice again! I got a little smarter this year and bought it at Sam's club...25 lbs for $9.00. 25 pounds is enough to feed a small country...so if you're interested in doing this activity, you could easily split it with someone.

Not much has changed from last year. Max still puts rice in Mya's hair which in turn goes down her shirt and into her diaper. Mya still eats it and throw it outside of the box. One box is still not enough and the mess is still there:) The differences are this year they don't fit into tub, Mya has hair and they no longer look at the camera when I ask. Instead of dealing with it in the kitchen, I moved it to the utility room in the basement so we could use the wet/dry vac to clean it up when we're through!

Here are a couple pictures. One last year and one this year. If you missed the post about it last year, you can read it here.



4 comments:

Kel said...

I seriously have to do this. Yesterday we went for a walk in all of 20ish degree weather with my mom. I dressed Lainey in three shirts, plus a winter coat and her boots, and a fleece blanket. Poor kid looked like the boy from "A Christmas Story," but at least we got outside, right?

Kelly Escorcia said...

Love the rice play and your creativeness and I totally remember your post from last year too. Fun!

Julie said...

Hey--wanted to let you know that we played with rice for at least an hour this morning!!! :) Mallory loved it! Thanks for the idea!

Colleen said...

Hey Beth,
What a fun at home idea! We've done the rice too! When I taught pre-k the sensory table was always where the kids wanted to play the most. I've used uncooked pasta/noodles, fish tank gravel, kidney beans, dry oatmeal, whipped cream, snow, corn/corn cobs, sand, and corn meal to name a few!!