Before I embarked on my current career as a stay at home mom, I was a middle school/high school Spanish teacher. Sometimes it seems like a lifetime ago that I was doing lesson plans and parent teacher conferences and then other times it seems like just yesterday. I can't imagine really doing another career, so when I'm ready to go back to work, I hope to be SeƱora Hoden again. As soon as someone finds out I was a Spanish teacher, their next question is whether I'm going to teach my kids Spanish. I usually tell them that I haven't done anything yet, but if they express any interest, I'm all for it.
Well, Maxwell is interested. I wish I could tell you that he's interested because of my love of the language and my influence, but I'd be lying. This is 100% due to Dora the Explorer. Regardless of how he got interested, I dug out all of my old Spanish children's books from the basement storage tubs and we've been reading them at night. His favorite is Cuenta con Clifford (count w/ Clifford) Sometimes when we read, he asks for a lot of translation. And then other times, he just sits back and listens without interrupting me once. I always let him pick out the books at night, but I strategically place the Spanish books so he's guaranteed to pick at least one. Here's a short video clip of tonight's story time with him doing some counting in Spanish. Please disregard the fact that he counted 10 candles when there were only 7:) We're working on that...
Sunday, March 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Beth--That is awesome!! Diego and Dora have also helped Mallory learn a little spanish, and I'm glad, because I don't know any! Wish you could come over and teach my kiddoes. :) Way to put that teaching license to use!!!
How fun! I love that! Max seems like he is a great little student, too...very willing to learn! AWESOME!
Post a Comment