
The weather has been getting progressivly warmer around here and the snow is melting away! Saturday was 42 outside and sunny. I took Max out to Sundown "Mountain" down the road for his first experience on skis. Leading up to it, he was already pretty excited just from us building it up. He had a big smile on his face the whole time we were in the rental shop getting HIS skis and boots. Watching him walk around with those boots on for the first time was funny. We got him on the snow and I did everything I could to keep his attention. Even though the skis were only a couple feet long, they were still pretty heavy to lift up and move around on flat snow. He got the going downhill part though! After a couple times down the bunny hill with me holding on, he matter of factly let me know that "Daddy - I ready to go on my own". And he did. Balance was pretty good. No falls. Didn't take long and we were riding the chair lift on the bunny hill. I thought he might be a little scared of it but he did great. It probably helped that Mom and Mya stopped by to watch and were at the top of the hill waving to us. After about 45 minutes, it was obvious to me that he was getting tired and was ready to go. I thought it would be a great idea to take him down the "big hill" with me right behind him holding him back for our last run. Probably not the best idea I've ever had. The day started with me just wanting to get him used to skis so that next year he could hit the snow in a tuck. Now I pushed my luck and let's just say the big hill wasn't as easy on dad (or son) from a teaching perspective as the bunny hill was. He was having such fun and I forgot he was 3 and pushed a little too hard. More so than I would have to someone else's kid. Lesson #4,356 in being a father - the reward isn't him becoming a great skier - it is in the fun we have in doing it together... Every day I am reminded that I am far from perfect but hey, there is always tomorrow.
1 comment:
Chris, so glad you and Max got the chance to practice skiing. How fun! Soon you can all take a family ski vacation to CO and we can all go skiing with the kids together. :)
Post a Comment