Wednesday, March 3, 2010

3 on 3-3

Dear Maxwell,

Happy super golden birthday to you! As I sit down to write this, my wish is for you to be as excited about your birthday every year as you are this year. It is so fun to see the pure excitement in your eyes when the word birthday comes up. This morning when you came out of your room, you told your Daddy and I that you grew up and up last night! We have been working on saying that you're 3 and holding up 3 fingers for a few weeks now. So much so that Mya now says she's 3 when you ask her for her age!

I love that you still adore being held, cuddled and rocked. I secretly hope it continues for at least another year. Blankie is still a part of your life, but I'm so happy to report that you no longer put it in your mouth!! It only has to be washed once every couple of weeks instead of once every couple of days. We have a great routine down where we read books and then rock for a few minutes before going to bed. You're down to a nap in the afternoon 3 or 4 days per week. I think you could sleep everyday, but you have such trouble falling asleep at night when you have a nap. Occasionally when you don't have a nap, you turn into someone I don't recognize around 5pm, but most of the time you handle it just fine.

Your sense of humor is really developing and I love it. One night I told you to get a couple of books out and put them on the chair and when I came back into your room, the entire bookshelf was emptied onto your chair and you had a little smirk on your face. You're getting a lot better at dressing yourself, but one day you came out of your room with your socks on your hands and you thought it was hilarious. I laughed pretty hard too:) Speaking of dressing...you love to wear your "football game shirts" Even though one of them is a 24 month onesie Culpepper jersey that I had to cut in order for it to still fit. We definitely need to add to your Viking shirt collection soon.

You are a great big brother to Mya 80% of the time. I try to explain to you that she's littler than you and that sometimes we have to give her what she wants, but you don't understand. Your favorite thing to do is to go and "get" Mya after she wakes up if I'm busy. I always know when she poops by the way you come running out of her room gagging and covering your mouth and nose. Looks like you got my keen sense of smell. Sorry about that.

You're a pretty good eater, but are becoming very particular. Your Daddy and I have learned our lesson to NEVER cut something up without asking you first. Also I would never dream of giving you something with chunks in it or anything that resembles a "crust." Even the tiniest piece of "crust" on an apple or pear sends you into a tizzy.

You can say the prayer before meal time now. (God is great, God is good, let us thank him for this food. In Jesus' name, Amen.) You don't want to start until everyone including Mya has their hands folded and is sitting down.

You are completely potty trained during the day, but still wear diapers at night even though you STRONGLY protest. A few months ago I told you that on your birthday you didn't have to wear diapers anymore. I thought for sure you'd be closer by now, but you're not. I can almost guarantee you'll remember this tonight when I go to put your diaper on and I'm not sure yet what I'm going to say.

You know your colors now which is wonderful because I was beginning to think you were color blind. You can say your ABC's and my favorite part is Q-R-yes:) You can count 1-20 sans 13 and 15. Some of your favorite phrases are: "It was just an accident", "I have a question", and "But mommy...I was just playing with Mya" after she comes running in tears. You are getting really good at coloring. You like me to draw something and then you color it in...mostly inside the lines too! Last weekend, while you were coloring with a black marker, you decided to "paint" your toe nails and I have to say, you did an excellent job! Daddy wasn't as impressed as me...

Hard to believe it was 3 years ago that you came into our lives. Your Daddy and I feel so blessed to be your parents. You are a happy little boy and people genuinely like to be around you. The two of us have a special little bond. You even told me the other day that you wanted to marry me which was one of the greatest compliments I have ever had as a mother. Only later, you said you wanted to marry Chloe too, so now I'm not so sure:) Happy 3rd birthday to you!

Love, Mommy

March 3rd, 2007


March 3rd, 2008


March 3rd, 2009


March 3rd, 2010

8 comments:

ahuinker said...

This brought tears to my eyes and made me smile at the same time, Beth! Can't believe Max is 3 already! Time flies - Max looks so grown up from last year's picture to today's! Hope to see you all soon!
Love,
Auntie Nina (I wish Max still called me that all the time!)

Julie said...

Such a sweet little letter!! Happy Birthday Max!

Karen said...

This letter made me laugh my socks off! Happy birthday sweet Max! I'm still laughing at the marrying Chloe comment... :)

Tony & Tara said...

can't say before this entry that i've ever cried when reading what you've written.

i stopped myself - but gosh, i was close.

love maxwell dearly.
Aunt Tee-Tah

Kel said...

This is just so special. I love that someday Max will read it and know exactly on March 3rd, 2010 what you were thinking about. So sweet! :)

Colegrove said...

I love it! Happy Birthday, Max! (a few days late)

Kelsey Rae said...

Beth, I hope Max had a great birthday!!! I can't believe he is already 3 yrs. old.

Hope to see you guys soon!

Kelly Escorcia said...

Loved your letter Beth, and Happy belated in Birthday Max. Wow, 3 years old!